Notary Service Information
Town employees provide Notary services as a courtesy. Town
employees who serve as Notaries do not receive additional compensation for these services.
The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Service:
• Notary Service is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis during business hours, though making an appointment is encouraged to ensure availability.
• A valid, government-issued photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Service.
• The document(s) cannot already have been signed.
• All signers must be present at time of notarizing.
• The person(s) signing must provide a proper photo ID and sign document(s) in front of the notary.
• The document must contain the appropriate Jurat, Notarial Statement, or Clause.
• Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at this facility.
• Notary Service is not available for deeds, mortgages, wills, living wills, living trusts, codicils or depositions.
• Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates and passports.
• Massachusetts law requires that a Notary and the person seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. The Notary is not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary Service customer.
• In accordance with Massachusetts Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty. In this event, the Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
Residents seeking Notary Service should call the Town Hall prior to their visit to ensure that the Notary is available. Notary Service is not guaranteed to those who do not call in advance to make an appointment. Please be advised that Notary Service may be declined by the Notary Public for any reason, the services provided are performed as a courtesy.